So you’re hoping to head out to summer camp in America?
If you’re looking for an incredible, unforgettable summer, our camps provide free meals and accommodations. You will recieve a minimum stipend of $2,000 USD and may be eligible to earn more depending on your age, skill set, and experience. Feel free to save this pocket money, spend it during the summer, or use it to travel and experience American culture for up to 30 days after camp.
What You Pay
There are a few costs to be aware of…
No Cost, it’s free to apply
No cost for the interview but…
Proof of Intent
£50 is due as proof of intent in order to schedule your interview. After your interview, you can officially be accepted onto the program.*
The final payment of £150 is due once you have been placed at a camp.
*If not accepted onto the program following your interview, the £50 deposit will be refunded to you.
£150 due once you’ve been placed at a camp.
Total Fee to IENA paid by you
- Fees include visa paperwork, SEVIS, a 24-hour help line and comprehensive medical insurance while in the United States. Please note, this insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions or any applicants 65 years or older.
- At camp you will experience a huge amount of personal growth, making a positive impact on the lives of children, and working with awesome staff from all over the world.
- Food and accommodation are included for the duration of your employment at camp.
- You will receive some of the most in-depth training you will ever receive for a short term job.
- Internet and time off to recuperate and communicate with loved ones back home is provided too!
- The ability to travel up to 30 days prior to your first day of work in the US as well as 30 days to travel after your last day worked. That’s 60 days of traveling around the United States, seeing all that it has to offer!
Returners & Direct Placements
Fees for the direct placement program are paid by you, the exchange visitor. IENA will invoice you once you have uploaded your job agreements with your employer (camp). Payment is due prior to IENA’s issuance of your DS2019 form and other important documents needed to obtain your visa from the US Embassy.
Returning or Direct Placement Camp Counselors*
Returning Camp Support Staff*
Direct Placement Support Staff*
*Staff stipend negotiated with camp
Please note, this fee does not include the $35 SEVIS fee for Direct Placement and Returning applicants.
For Direct Placements and Returners Only: There is a $100 express service charge for all applications processed after April 3rd, 2023 and an additional charge of $100 for applications processed after May 8th, 2023.
Returners and Direct Placements applications are processed when an application is completed and reviewed by IENA, the visa sponsor partnered with American Summers. There is a limited number of places on our program for Returners and Direct Placements, and IENA accepts people onto the program in order of completion. Creating an application and paying is no guarantee you will be accepted onto our program. Once your application has been officially processed, you will be accepted. Anyone paying who is subsequently not accepted onto our program and issued a form DS-2019 will be issued with a full refund.
Police Background Checks
Typically $45 to $60
US Embassy Appointment Fee
Currently $160 USD
Free–$50 (camps require a medical form to be completed, prices may vary depending on your doctor)
Price varies by location and destination.
Flights are never free. Other companies claim to offer free flights for participants; however, your camp will then pay this cost, which will then be deducted from your pocket money. Our camps want to see you organize your own flight to show you are responsible and capable of doing so, and it also allows you more flexibility to find the best deal and book the flights you are comfortable with.
Once placed, your camp will send you details of how you can travel to camp: if camp will arrange an airport pickup, or if there is local transportation you can take. Using this information, you can shop around for the best deals for your travel to the US. Please note, we strongly recommend you do not purchase flights until your J1 Visa has been approved by the US Embassy.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
First Time Participants
- If you are not accepted on the program, the proof of intent and all verifiable fees paid to IENA are refundable.
- If you are not accepted on the program, through your non-disclosure or other failure to comply with your obligations as set out in this agreement, all fees paid to IENA are non-refundable.
- If your application is withdrawn after acceptance onto the program, but prior to placement at a summer camp AND you have paid the program fee in full, $100 is refundable. Otherwise, the program fee is non-refundable.
- If your application is withdrawn after placement at a summer camp, the total program free is non-refundable.
- After acceptance on the program, if changes to your availability, your ability to attend a camp, or any failure on your part to comply with your obligations in this agreement, or any other facts, affect the ability of American Summers to place you at a camp, American Summers reserves the right to withdraw your application from the program and refunds will be at the absolute discretion of American Summers
- If you are not placed at a camp by American Summers by July 1st, your application will be withdrawn from the program and your proof of intent deposit will be credited for use in any of IENA’s programs for up to 1 year.
Returnee/Direct Placement Participants
- American Summers incur all costs when we process your application. For this reason, if your application is withdrawn or you are unable to attend camp for any reason after your application has been processed, up to and including camp not operating or government closure of the program, the total program fee is non-refundable.
- If you leave camp before the end date of your camp contract for any reason, the total program fee is non-refundable.
- If you or a member of your immediate family (parents or siblings; not including grandparents) experiences a life-threatening illness, or death, prior to your departure for your camp, written documentation must be submitted within 14 days and refunds will then be considered at the absolute discretion of IENA.
- No credits/refunds will be given if your application is withdrawn due to exacerbation of a pre-existing medical condition.
- If you have not obtained your J-1 visa (delayed/denied/rejected) by your contracted start date at your camp or by June 15th of the year of your participation in the program, whichever is sooner, American Summers reserves the right to withdraw you from the program without refund.
- Any fees you incur for third-party services (such as J-1 visa interview or criminal background checks, etc.…) or other costs associated with the program (but not inclusive of the program fee) are not refundable by American Summers.
- American Summers reserves the right to withdraw your application, without refund, if unable to make contact with you via the contact details you provided; if you are late with any paperwork or payments; or in any other circumstances where IENA is unable to obtain required information from you.
- Failure to complete your camp contract, for any reason, may result in the ending of your visa program and insurance coverage and you may be required to immediately leave the USA. You will be required to leave the USA on the earliest available flight. Without prejudice to any other claims IENA may have, you will be responsible for any flight change fees and will be liable for any fees that would otherwise be paid by camp to IENA on your behalf (up to $1,500). In the event that any invoice is not paid when due, the credit card on file will be automatically charged. If the charge is rejected, all costs incurred in recovering the outstanding balance will be added to the outstanding amount.
- For any Chargeback on the credit card used to pay for your fees, IENA will levy a $100 charge to cover the costs of us responding to the chargeback. Please make sure if you had permission to use someone else’s card to pay your fees that you remind them when their bill arrives. You WILL be charged $100 for incorrect chargebacks.
I have enjoyed every moment and was heartbroken to leave!